The internet is filled with ads and articles telling us the five foods you should never eat. There are three general commonalities in the five foods you should not eat. They are white, they are full of sugar or they are highly processed (which means they are full of sugar or full of salt).
Here are my rules for a happy and healthy eating life:
- The longer it takes the healthier it is. A four hour casserole is hands down healthier than a freezer to microwave meal. The casserole may contain red meat and saturated fats such as lard or butter. But it will have not a fraction of the salt, carbohydrates, sugars and strange chemicals you get in processed foods.
- If you make it yourself it will be healthier, tastier and you will eat less.
- You can get full, but you can’t get fat on salad. You can get fat on buckets of mayonnaise, so eat salad with vinaigrette– Olive Oil, Vinegar, Mustard, Sugar. Make it yourself and avoid all the processed crap. Just one other thing: Pasta is not salad!
- Coloured food is better. Red, green, yellow, purple, eat lots of tomatoes, peppers, chilies, onions, garlic, sprouts, salad, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, celery, herbs, courgettes, squashes, go for it big time. You will get full but you won’t get fat, unless you smother it in cheese sauce.
- Brown food is not great – sausage rolls, buns, fried food, deep fried food, breaded anything. White food is even worse. Ease up on pasta, rice, potatoes (eat as many sweet potatoes as you like), white bread, sugar and salt.
- Do not eat diet food. It is only low in fat because it is full of sugar. It is highly processed and the texture probably comes from the slime you get on rotting cabbages (really true).
- Eat fat. Fat does not make you fat. Sugar makes you fat. (Watch those sugary drinks)
- Eat broadly and in moderation. Eat a little of a lot of different things and leave the table before you are full.
- Eat slowly. Chew properly and savour every bite. If you eat too fast you cannot follow rule 8 because your brain does not know how full you are. If you are inclined to eat fast, then go to rule 3 and start every meal with a large salad.
- Enjoy food in a civilized manner. Sit at a table with a knife and fork and plate, surrounded by other people.
Of course the other side of eating is exercise. If you get off your ass you can eat as much as you want. When did you see a fat postman?
Now, 5 things you really should never eat….
- Don’t eat your hat.
- Don’t eat humble pie.
- Don’t eat your words.
- Don’t eat your heart out.
- Swallow your pride, but never eat shit.
Italian Food : by Shel Silverstein
Oh, how I love Italian food.
I eat it all the time,
Not just ’cause how good it tastes
But ’cause how good it rhymes.
Insalata, cremolata, manicotti,
Shrimp francese, Bolognese,
Fried zucchini, rollatini,
Fettuccine, green linguine,
Oops–I think I split my jeani.