These 10 simple steps are proven to be effective and will change your life forever.
They are courtesy of Professor Richard Wiseman and his excellent book “:59 seconds; Think a little Change a lot”.
- Every week you should rate your week and write down 3 things that went well. This will improve your happiness and your health for the next month. I hope it is a cumulative effect.
- Carry a cute baby photo in your wallet (read the book to know why)
- Hang a mirror in your kitchen. When you can see yourself eating, you eat better food and you eat less.
- Put a pot plant in your office. It boosts creativity and reduces stress.
- Touch people on the upper arm when you ask them to do something and they are more likely to do it. But read the book because you can get this one very wrong! Think “Sexual Harassment” suit!
- Write about your relationship and you will make it stronger. If you write your thoughts about your relationship on paper, the positive language will leak through when you speak with your partner.
- If you think someone is lying, shut your eyes and ask them to send it in an email.
- Praise effort, not ability. Instead of saying “aren’t you a clever boy to get first place” say “you really worked hard to get that first place”.
- If you want to reach your goals don’t visualise the goal, visualise the steps to get there. If you are in a sand trap, don’t visualise the golf ball going into the cup, visualise your stroke lifting the ball out of the sand and on to the green.
- Write your obituary. When your friends speak at your funeral, what will they say you did? If you are not happy with the material, now is the time to change it. This is how Alfred Nobel moved from making Dynamite to giving prizes for Science and Peace.
The time Before Death; by Kabir
Friend, hope for the Guest while you are alive.
Jump into experience while you are alive!
Think… and think… while you are alive.
What you call “salvation” belongs to the time before death
If you don’t break your ropes while you’re alive,
do you think ghosts will do it after?
The idea that the soul will rejoin with the ecstatic
just because the body is rotten–that is all fantasy.
What is found now is found then.
If you find nothing now,
you will simply end up with an apartment in the City of Death.
if you make love with the divine now, in the next
life you will have the face of satisfied desire.
So plunge into the truth, find out who the Teacher is,
Believe in the Great Sound!
Kabir says this: When the Guest is being searched for,
it is the intensity of the longing for the Guest that
does all the work.
Look at me, and you will see a slave of that intensity.